If your production involves a fight, whether it’s unarmed or with weapons, the best way for it to be safe and to look good is to use a professional fight arranger. I can provide training for cast members and arrange the fights for your stage production or film.
For recent fight arranging credits see About Janet Lawson.
To discuss your project please contact me.
Certification Courses are for those who want to gain certification in the various weapons in the BASSC syllabus.
Stage Fight Scotland runs certification weapons courses on a regular basis in Glasgow. These are listed on the website under Upcoming Workshops.
We can also run certification courses for:
- Drama schools
- Colleges and Universities that have a drama programme
- Student drama societies
Single Weapon Courses
These lead to certification in a particular weapon with the BASSC and must have a minimum of 30 hours of training prior to testing. These can be run as:
- Single Weapon Semi-intensive Courses – run over a series of weekends either as two-day or one-day sessions.
- Single Weapon Intensive Courses – run over 6 days with the fight performance test on the last day.
- Single Weapon regular classes – run over a series of weeks with a regular class of at least 2 hours/week.
These are courses in Rapier and Dagger and Unarmed Combat leading to Actor/Combatant status with the BASSC and are the most common type of course offered by drama schools in the UK. These must have a minimum of 60 hours of training prior to testing. These can be run as:
- Actor/Combatant Semi-intensive Courses – run over a series of weekends either as two-day or one-day sessions.
- Actor/Combatant Intensive Courses – run over two weeks with the fight performance test on the final Saturday. No classes on the middle weekend.
- Actor/Combatant regular classes – run over a series of weeks with a regular class of at least 2 hours/week.
- Actor/Combatant regular class/ one-week intensive. Roughly half the course is run as a regular class to cover all the required techniques. The choreography and rehearsal for testing is then covered in a one-week intensive. All students can have training but can then opt in to testing for certification.
BASSC Weapons systems are:
- Rapier and Dagger
- Unarmed Combat
- Sword and Shield
- Smallsword (18th century)
- Rapier and Cloak
- Single rapier (swashbuckling style)
Bespoke events and workshops can be for:
- Schools, colleges, universities, drama schools and stage schools (minimum age 13).
- Student, youth and community theatre groups (minimum age 13).
- Cast members for stage productions and films requiring fight training. See also fight arranging.
- A special event – birthday, stag or hen day.
- Corporate days – learn about communication, co-operation, partnership and teamwork skills through learning techniques and creating a fight.
Recent examples include:
- An introduction to unarmed stage combat
- Fighting for film workshops for a screen-based drama school
- An introduction to rapier fighting for a university Shakespeare society
- Learning broadsword and sword and shield fighting as part of the stag weekend events for historical and fantasy themed weddings.
1 to 1 training in stage combat for actors to:
- Prep for a role
- Brush up on rusty skills
- Learn skills in a specific weapon
For further information please contact me.