Certification Courses are for those who want to gain certification in the various weapons in the BASSC syllabus.
Stage Fight Scotland runs certification weapons courses on a regular basis in Glasgow. These are listed on the website.
We can also run certification courses for:
- Drama schools
- Colleges and Universities that have a drama programme
- Student drama societies
Single Weapon Courses
These lead to certification in a particular weapon with the BASSC and must have a minimum of 30 hours of training prior to testing. These can be run as:
- Single Weapon Semi-intensive Courses – run over a series of weekends either as two-day or one-day sessions.
- Single Weapon Intensive Courses – run over 6 days with the fight performance test on the last day.
- Single Weapon regular classes – run over a series of weeks with a regular class of at least 2 hours/week.
These are courses in Rapier and Dagger and Unarmed Combat leading to Actor/Combatant status with the BASSC and are the most common type of course offered by drama schools in the UK. These must have a minimum of 60 hours of training prior to testing. These can be run as:
- Actor/Combatant Semi-intensive Courses – run over a series of weekends either as two-day or one-day sessions.
- Actor/Combatant Intensive Courses – run over two weeks with the fight performance test on the final Saturday. No classes on the middle weekend.
- Actor/Combatant regular classes – run over a series of weeks with a regular class of at least 2 hours/week.
- Actor/Combatant regular class/ one-week intensive. Roughly half the course is run as a regular class to cover all the required techniques. The choreography and rehearsal for testing is then covered in a one-week intensive. All students can have training but can then opt in to testing for certification.
BASSC Weapons systems are:
- Rapier and Dagger
- Unarmed Combat
- Sword and Shield
- Smallsword (18th century)
- Rapier and Cloak
- Single rapier (swashbuckling style)